Addicted to Amazon – Amazon Shopping Habits Explained
- While most Americans have had to switch to online shopping during the COVID-19 pandemic, one group of customers stands out from the crowd.
- These are Amazon superfans who place orders on the platform 7+ times per week.
- Most daily Amazon shoppers have a limited budget and they use the platform to find quality products at a low price with fast and often free shipping.
There are two types of customers in the world of online retail: those that shop on Amazon and those who can’t live without shopping there. The COVID-19 pandemic has erased the boundaries between the two groups and made it more difficult to recognize the differences between the two. After all, how can you tell if you’re addicted to Amazon if it’s one of the few places where you can get everything you need to fulfill your needs?
Well, statistics can provide one hint. According to recent reports, about 15% of Americans place orders on Amazon seven or more times a week. This means they make purchases on the marketplace daily! So naturally, these shoppers are a coveted target audience for every seller. In this article, we will talk about why they buy so many products on Amazon and examine how they shop on the platform.
Amazon shopping addiction – why does it happen?
In early 2020, the lives of virtually every person in America have changed dramatically. The COVID-19 pandemic forced us to stay at home, give up in-person communication, and start going online to purchase everything we needed, from toilet paper to home improvement materials for our pandemic projects. Even though today, most brick-and-mortar shops have resumed their in-person operations, many people are not rushing to return to them. Over the past months, we’ve gotten even more used to shopping online, and Amazon is by far the most popular and beloved e-commerce platform for Americans.
Amazon superfan statistics
One thing that separates daily Amazon shoppers from other people who make purchases on the platform is their love for Amazon. They don’t simply like to shop on the platform; they love Amazon and everything about it. People with moderate Amazon shopping habits often make purchases on different websites, including in-person stores. They generally believe that once the pandemic is over, they will return to shopping in physical stores with the same frequency as before. On the other hand, Amazon superfans often shop exclusively on Amazon, and they are generally content with never going back to brick-and-mortar stores.
Here are some more statistics to consider:
- More than 90% of daily Amazon shoppers stated that they started buying more products on Amazon after the start of the pandemic, compared to 60% of other consumers.
- Similarly, around 90% of Amazon superfans stated that they gained more appreciation for the platform throughout the pandemic compared to 60% of other consumers.
- Nearly 95% of daily Amazon shoppers believe it is a good platform for customers compared to 74% of the general population.
- Around 85% of Amazon superfans stated that they would choose Amazon if they needed to pick one place to make all of their purchases, compared to 56% of regular shoppers.
- Over 80% of Amazon superfans said they would be okay with never shopping in a physical store again, while only 43% of the general population gave the same answer.
Amazon superfan demographics
You can get a few interesting insights by examining the demographics of daily Amazon shoppers. Over 60% of these shoppers have children, and more than 50% have a full-time job outside of their house. In addition, over half of Amazon superfans have a household income of less than $75,000 per year, and the majority of people in this group have fears of losing their jobs or not making enough money to pay for housing and utilities. This means that most Amazon superfans carefully think about how they spend their money and try to find good deals on products they need. This is backed up by statistics, as over 70% of daily Amazon shoppers try to save money on products they buy by finding good deals and spend a significant amount of time researching products before they make a purchase.
That being said, 8 in 10 superfans stated that Amazon allows them to buy products they can’t get anywhere else. Less than 60% of the general population makes the same claim.
In the end, many Amazon superfans love the platform for its convenience, fast and often free shipping, low prices, a wide selection of products, and the ability to find the best possible deal.
Over the past years, more and more people have been shifting to online shopping, and the COVID-19 pandemic has only sped up this trend. While today only about 15% of Amazon consumers shop on the platform daily, this number will likely only continue growing in the future.
If you want to leverage these changes in the market to grow your business, you should consider hiring an Amazon growth agency. Professional Amazon consultants can help you navigate the rapidly changing trends and consumer preferences and guide you towards building a successful and profitable business on Amazon. Sign up for a free discovery call with a Nuoptima expert today, or leave your email to learn more about our services.
Talk to an Amazon expert
We work with 100+ businesses. Book a slot now to talk to one of our experts.